Butternut Squash Beef Soup
Author: Xiomara Meeks
Recipe type: Soup
- 6 cups water
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 lbs chuck short ribs
- 2 mild Italian sausage links
- 1 tbsp recaito (recipe to follow or store bought in the frozen section)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 can chick peas, liquid drained and rinsed
- ½ tbsp flour
- ½ tbsp butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Removed meat from bones. Set bones aside. Using a heavy pot or dutch oven, brown meat on medium-high heat with Olive Oil.
- Add sausage, meat bones and water to pot and boil for 40 minutes.
- Add recaito, squash, garlic, chickpeas. Boil for 30 minutes.
- Mix flour with butter before adding it to pot. Add red lentils and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with shredded cabbage.
Recipe by Parkesdale Farm Market Blog at http://www.parkesdale.com/blog/2013/11/butternut-squash-beef-soup/